About Our Venison
Low in fat, low in cholesterol , full of flavour , rich in omega 3 and almost organic.
At Lavenham Butchers our Venison is wild, local to our farmland and woodlands, ranging from Red, Fallow, Roe and Muntjac depending on what is in season we sell it all.
We are also very fortunate to have not just one, but three highly skilled qualified Deer Stalkers in our midst, not only do Greg, Gareth and Mike all stalk and shoot, but they also cut, prepare and dress this fine wild meat for the larder.
Greg celebrating recently gaining his Deer Management Qualification Level 3, taken up all the possible opportunities and grabbed them by the hoof!!
Very proud of our guy!!
Our newest recruit to the “Field to fork” mission is Greg’s Wife Jen, who on St Georges Day passed her shooting test at Elveden Forest and after attending a three day BASC course is now a qualified Deer stalker level DSC 1!
We highly recommend the courses, for any of those interested to find out more either email the
firstname.lastname@example.org or telephone 01244 573 000
They can tell you the whole story literally from “field to fork” the woodland, meadow, corn field to the kind of food it had been grazing on.
We regularly attend three local Farmers Markets with our Wild Venison
Bures Farmers Market @Buresmarket every second Saturday of the month a community run Farmers market with a real feel for local produce from Goats Milk @fulibroch http://www.fulibrochdairy.com/ to Longhorn rough puff pies from @Collettsfarm http://www.collettsfarm.co.uk/
Lavenham the fourth Sunday of the month and Sudbury the last Friday of the month run by Suffolk Market Events http://www.suffolkmarketevents.co.uk/
The real deal is that the deer numbers are massively on the increase due to the fact that they have no natural predators in the wild.
Deer management is vital to maintain the natural flora and fauna of our beautiful ancient woodlands. The farmlands also need to be protected as the deer will decimate oil seed rape fields, orchards, allotments anything they have access to. Muntjac are renowned for clearing five foot fences, so even these won’t keep them at bay!
Gareth and Greg welcome you to try our Venison, you will not be disappointed.
Our Venison is available as
- Canon (Fillet Steak)
- Rump Steak
- Rolled Saddles
- Whole carcasses
- Venison Racks
- Broth Bones are available to please just ask
Game can only be shot during specific times of the year.
Here is a guide to when game is in season.
- RED DEER STAG: 1ST AUGUST TO 30TH APRIL (ENGLAND, WALES AND NORTHERN IRELAND) (1ST JULY TO 20TH SEP IN SCOTLAND)
- RED DEER HIND: 1ST NOVEMBER TO 31ST MARCH (ENGLAND, WALES AND NORTHERN IRELAND) (21ST OCTOBER TO 15TH FEBRUARY IN SCOTLAND)
- SIKA DEER STAG: 1ST AUGUST TO 30TH APRIL
- SIKA DEER HIND: 1ST NOVEMBER TO 31ST MARCH (ENGLAND, WALES AND NORTHERN IRELAND) (21ST OCTOBER TO 15TH FEBRUARY IN SCOTLAND)
- FALLOW BUCK: 1ST AUGUST TO 30TH APRIL
- FALLOW DOE: 1ST NOVEMBER TO 31ST MARCH(ENGLAND, WALES AND NORTHERN IRELAND) 21ST OCTOBER TO 15TH FEBRUARY (SCOTLAND)
- ROE BUCK: 1ST APRIL TO 30TH OCTOBER (ENGLAND AND WALES) 1ST APRIL TO 20TH OCTOBER (SCOTLAND)
- ROE DOE: 1 ST NOVEMBER TO 31ST MARCH (ENGLAND AND WALES)
- CHINESE WATER DEER: 1ST NOVEMBER TO 31ST MARCH
- GROUSE: 12TH AUGUST(GLORIOUS TWELFTH) TO 10TH DECEMBER
- PARTRIDGE: 1ST SEPTEMBER TO 1ST FEBRUARY
- DUCK AND GOOSE: INLAND 1 ST SEPTEMBER TO 31ST JANUARY. BELOW HIGH WATER MARK-1ST SEPTEMBER TO 20TH FEBRUARY (31ST JANUARY N.IRELAND)